Well, whether it is or not, these buttons are definitely squirrelly, or squirrel-ly, if you prefer.
This is the baby sweater for my fella's sister, who was induced last night, and has probably had the little guy or gal by now.
I get to hand-deliver the sweater to the new addition in the next few days, and I couldn't be more thrilled with how it turned out. Since the parents chose not to discover the sex ahead of time, I tried to knit something that could work for either gender. When I found the squirrel buttons on etsy, they just fit. The yellow and brown yarn is Elsebeth Lavold Cotton Patine. The blue is Cotton-Ease. I used less about half a skein of each.
The pattern is easy to follow, and the variations I've seen on Ravelry are just lovely. Several people chose to do applique, and I considered it, but I felt that the stripes + applique would be too busy. The knitting went quickly, but the total duration for the sweater was about 2 months. This was mostly because I knew my deadline, and I procrastinated on the finishing. Story of my life. Plus, finding the perfect buttons took some searching. The only trouble I had was due to these very buttons. They were a bit too big for the buttonholes, but I was able to stretch them enough to fit.