Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Progress: Wonky Bee Quilt

As usual, I'm a little behind in posting this, but I finally took a photo of my Wonky Bee quilt blocks. Back in April, I asked for spiral log cabins, described here.

Wonky Bee Stack

I sent out a mixture of fabrics in tangerine and eggplant shades, mainly based on the Sugar Pop fabrics. I added a few other prints, like the Mendocino orange octopi, the Hope Valley Canyon Stripe in Fiesta, as well as Kona Tangerine and Eggplant. Each bee member added some additional fabrics, which I love. Each block is so different!

Wonky Bee Blocks

I've been enjoying these blocks, but I wasn't quite ready to work with them.

This weekend, though, I finally took a photo of all the lovely blocks I received.

Wonky Bee Blocks

Aren't they incredible? Ack! I cannot wait to finish this quilt and enjoy it. Please click through on the photo to see the credits for each block. I sewed them together on Saturday, and started working on the border. I'm not sashing the blocks, as I thought sewing them right next to each other added to the fun wonkiness.

I bought extra fabric in some of my favorite Sugar Pop prints, as well as pieces of the solids, so I'll be working on the backing soon. I haven't decided how I'd like to quilt this. Since I've never done free motion quilting, I'm not sure this is the project I'd like to try first.

Any quilting thoughts/suggestions?

11 comments:

  1. oh very cool! Love the colors! that is one fun quilt. I have no idea on the quilting. I always do a flickr search for the type of quilt I've made when I'm stuck and see what other people have done that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are so cool! And I definitely agree that smashing them all together is the way to go. They're going to make an awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great blocks, this will be an awesome quilt! some diagonal lines come to my mind thinking about the quilting but i am not sure if thats the right way to go. can´t wait for what you´ll do with it :-)
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. this quilt is going to be amazing! i love the color palette. quite unexpected and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the blocks together a really bold design. SO funny "free emotion" quilting I emote a lot when I free motion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, thanks Creative Mom! I fixed that little clerical error, although I think we're on to something. Let your emotions go while you quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think this would be a great quilt to try free motion. it's so busy that any little oopsies will be hidden by the boldness of the blocks.

    if it were me, i think i'd do loopy quilting. there's lots of options though. have you seen leah day's site?

    http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beyond incredible! They look so good all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the wonky log cabin blocks! That orange and purple color combo is a great touch.

    And I know you like the orange bottled rainbows block best but that green is really lovely.

    Your helper looks about as useful as my helpers when I'm trying to make the bed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These will be perfect without sashing, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those are incredible and you're quite right to skip the sashing. For quilting, I wonder if random intersection straight lines would capture the same feeling as the quilt? Like what I did for my Love in Wonky Stars do. Good Stitches project? Oh, if you were ambitious, you could also do a wonky spiral of straight lines starting from the inside and going out. That would echo the log cabin shape of the blocks!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails