Hence, the freakout I had. After pulling out the needle, I started frogging, and I stopped myself before I ripped the band-aid off completely. I put the shrug out of sight until I could calmly decide how to fix my problem.
That time finally came last weekend. I ripped back all the ribbing, including the stitches I picked up. Last night, I picked up my stitches again, and got 3 rounds of the ribbing complete. I joined properly this time, and all is right with the world. I'm so glad that this road block is gone.
I think I can finish the shrug over the weekend, and then I've got to finish seaming Jill's purse, and sewing the lining. So, two FOs are just around the corner!