Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

HCB: Zig Zag Table Runner Tutorial

And here we are. The last Holiday Craft Bash tutorial!

Today, I've got a Zig Zag Table Runner for you. This was almost the tree skirt, but I felt it would be better suited for a table than under the tree.

Directions below are for 1/4" seam, unless otherwise noted.

List of materials:

-1 charm pack (or forty 5 inch squares)
-1/2 yard of coordinating solid
-1 yard of backing fabric
-FQ of binding fabric
-batting
-60 degree triangle template

Directions:

1)Sew charms into pairs.

2)Next, sew the pairs into four-patches. (if you are using a charm pack, remove two squares). You should have ten four-patches.

3)Cut your solid fabric into 8 1/2" strips along WOF.

4)Now, using your triangle template (you can get one here!), cut eleven triangles from your solid fabric.

5) Again, using your template, cut a triangle from each four-patch. Consider rotating your template over the fabric, to get a different arrangement of the fabrics.

6) Alternating solid and scrappy triangles, sew three rows of triangles.

Each row should have seven triangles, and two rows should start/end with a solid piece.

7) Sew these three strips together, with a solid-start strip on either side of the scrappy-start strip. You will have jagged ends!

8) Now, we'll square up our short ends.

9) Cut your backing fabric slightly larger than the front.

10) Baste!

11) Quilt as desired. I chose to quilt the scrappy triangles in a free motion loop and the solid portions in "organic" zig zags.

12) Trim your quilt square. Make your binding.

As usual, I used a 2 1/2" wide binding.

13) Apply your binding.

Finished!

Thanks for checking out the Holiday Craft Bash tutorials, and thanks especially to Meredith, for inviting me to contribute! It was a challenge, but very fun!

And be sure to check out the last tutorials from Jessica, Debbie and Meredith this week! Please make sure you add any finished projects to the flickr group!

13 comments:

  1. Very nice and love the scrappy look of the fabrics in the zig zag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scrappy zigzag, too! All of your houses must look so festive! I haven't had a chance to make one thing yet this year for holiday decorating and it's killing me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, I love the binding you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scrappy zigzags are such a fun idea. Creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love those zigzags. so bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great Jacey! I like your way of making them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you did the scrappy triangles! So cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a clever twist on the zigzag Jacey! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, love the scrappy triangles- how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love this table runner, Jacey! I saw it yesterday, and I had to come back and leave a comment. I'm so thrilled you decided to join the craft bash! I love every single project you did. Thanks for all of your hard work! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! I bet doing all these tutorials was challenging although it seems to me that you more than succeeded it meeting it. Are you taking a break now and crafting for the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh, i really, really like this! i'm going to have to try this, but not with holiday fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is perfect! i love it so much! the four patch cut into triangles is whip smart! love it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails