Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

FO: A quilt for Mom

If you don't follow me on Instagram, this quilt is new to you.

I haven't shared it here or on flickr, because my mom wanted to be surprised with this gift. She knew I was making her a quilt (I started earlier this year), but didn't want to know anything about it. No sneak peeks! I took pictures along the way, though, so I could share them here.

I gifted it to my mom this weekend, and she loves it. She's a purple lover, to the max. She's been patiently waiting for a quilt, and I wanted to make her something really special. I love a good log cabin, but I have never made a light and dark or "lights and furrows" version. It was fun to limit myself to just two colors on this project, and yet, it is still very scrappy.

Working with several eggplant and light gray fabrics from the stash (with a few additions over the months), I started making blocks.

I finished the top (approximately 60" square) in June and it sat for a few weeks while I contemplated quilting.

I finally decided to quilt it with two threads: a dark eggplant and a light gray. Quilting with two threads allowed me to maintain the contrast of the quilt blocks.
I love the density of the quilting, too.

I used a variety of purples for the back. My mom said she loves the back just as much as the front, so it worked out well. A scrappy back is always happy!

And even though there were no tears (a mark of a good mom gift), I know she truly loves it. And I love her.

6 comments:

  1. Jacey - I love you! The tears you didn't get when you gifted it are here now! Tereesa and Lyna can verify!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww . . . how sweet the comment above!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt! What a fantastic gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so beautiful! How lovely :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous. I like the contrast. And yay for mom gifts that work out! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails