Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Swoon. It's done.

Swoon

I'm just slightly excited about this finish.
Total understatement.
I am freaking over the moon!

I'm sure you've had a project that you are afraid of messing up, right?
For me, I was terrified that I would quilt this "wrong".

Hence my decision to practice some free motion a few weeks ago. That same week, it just clicked, and I quilted this whole thing in a few days.

I took lots of breaks, and I still quilting in rows. I haven't quite mustered up the courage to do an all-over design, but I think the quilt is cohesive, nonetheless.

This was my first time quilting with Aurifil thread, which I really, really loved. My thread did break few times, but I think that had more to do with my tension/control of the quilt, rather than the thread quality. The thread feels nice, and I think the stitch definition is pretty marvelous! I purchased mine (40 wt) from Pink Castle Fabrics.

I finished the last block in March, and I pieced the top (with no sashing) sometime over the summer. And finally, it's done. I love it so.

Swoon

The fabrics are some of my favorites, and I have fond memories of making the quilt, too. I worked on this when I first joined the Houston MQG last fall. I finished a couple of blocks on the Birmingham retreat.

I bound this in Timeless Treasures Sketch, as well as several other snippets of scraps.

Scrappily-bound

A scrappy binding is a happy one!

I hand-sewed the back, because I just enjoy the process.

Oh, and I used a sheet from the linen closet to back it.

Swoon's back

It's soft, and I didn't want to take away from the front with a pieced back. It really shows off the quilting, too!

So, that's it. Swoon is done. If you'd like to see all of my swoon photos, they are here.

Yay!!

31 comments:

  1. congrats on your finish! it's just beautiful. great job on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratu-ma-lations! Its a beauty! And I love the quilting, an inspired choice my dear :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful!! I love the gray background. I think this is my favorite swoon quilt of all the ones I've seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh! What an awesome quilt! And yes, I know that feeling - I felt the same way when I finished mine! What a really fantastic finish!! (Love the quilting + the binding too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an absolutely gorgeous quilt! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, so pretty! Great job, Jacey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so beautiful! Congrats on the big finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's absolutely gorgeous, jacey! and i honestly can't believe that was your first time doing fmq on a big quilt. it just looks so lovely and cuddly and soft. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hooray! this looks really lovely, J! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is gorgeous!! I love free motion quilting, you did such a great job, it looks ready to snuggle into.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the angels are singing! it is gorgeous! so, you wanna fmq for me? it looks amamamamamamamaaaaaaaaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so beautiful! Congratulations on the big finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jacey! Your Swoon quilt is just incredible! I can't believe you did all that quilting yourself. It is absolutely gorgeous and I know you will forever treasure it. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurray, hurray! Congratulations Jacey. You are now a fmq extraordinaire. I think your quilting totally adds to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, yes, yes! It's gorgeous! One of my favorites swoon by far. The quilting is amazing! Hope you are using it at this very moment:)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks great. I love a whole cloth look on the back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so very pet-able. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Одеяло с характером. Всё четко и цветовая гамма конкретная!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would be over the moon if I were you too! This quilt is just amazing! I am even feeling jealous because it would look perfect in my living room!

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's wonderful! I like to see what it looks like without sashing. What size is it? 72 * 72 inches? It makes a wonderful quilt for the couch, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't measure (I'm so bad about that), but I think it's probably close to that! It is plenty big to snuggle under!

      Delete
  21. yay, what a great quilt!! love you taste of color and the quilting is amazing.. very well done, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You finished! That is AWESOME! It looks absolutely wonderful. Your success has given me a bit of a push. My Swoon top is all done, the back is ready, the batting is bought and...it's sitting in a bag waiting to be basted. I think it's time I got that baby out and got it done!

    Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jacey it's stunning!! I'm so proud of you for quilting it that way all yourself. It's so worth and I'm glad you finally get to enjoy it all season. I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I missed this last week but it's so gorgeous Jacey! I love the quilting! Makes me want to practice my FMQ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay, there are so many fabulous things about this quilt, I don't know where to start! First, I just love the colors...and the pattern. And that quilting is amazing Jacey (I realize I don't know the first thing about quilting but the fact you did this yourself is totally impressive to me!). I agree with your decision to do a plain back...it's perfect. Congrats on an amazing quilt!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails