Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

FO: Sara's Scrappy Stars

Monday already? How did that happen?
I hope you had a great weekend! I'll be sharing pictures from my weekend soon, but I wanted to start the week off with an FO. Sara has received her mini, I can share it with you. It's difficult to say how long I've know Sara, but I know her blog was one of my first to follow. She knits, spins, sews, quilts, embroiders and has cats! She's awesome. She runs the Wonky Bee, and it's given me a chance to get to know her better. She's also a talented knit designer, with several published patterns. Here's a few of my favorites.

I didn't have a specific vision when I started working on Sara's mini quilt. I sorted through my scraps, and when I found all of pieces left over from my Swoon blocks, and the Post-Sewing Summit mini I made, I instantly knew I wanted to use them in this project.

FO: Sara's Scrappy Stars

I started with the four tiny stars, and just kept building from there. I used lots of fun scraps from the stash. I still have some scraps from Swoon, but this made a big dent in them.

After finishing the top, I knew I didn't want to back it with a single piece of fabric. Instead, the scrappiness continued.

The back

I enjoyed the process of the back even more than the front, I think. Using up little bits of beloved prints, measuring here and there, and before I knew it, I had enough. I really didn't want to stop, and it's got me thinking about a future project. I would be an idiot to start another big project right now, but I'm definitely going to revisit this patchwork soon.

As for the binding, I knew I wanted some sort of pop. After auditioning several prints/colors, I landed on a favorite Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush print. This Woodcut in Red just works.

Binding

I love the contrast it provides; the warmth it gives the other prints.

I experimented with quilting on this one. Again, I started with the small stars, fully tracing the one with the dotty background. I tried to use different stitching on different areas, and I like how it turned out.

I've said this a lot lately, but I really had trouble giving this away. Sara seemed to love it, though. So, it's worth it! Honestly, do you know what my favorite part is?

Texture

It's the crinkle.

On a roll, I'm linking up with Megan today!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

25 comments:

  1. yay, so pretty! i love it so much--i'm glad you didn't end up keeping it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you and I have to discuss our love for 'the crinkle" any further, but I will profess my love for your minis. This one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Great binding choice - definitely gives the pop you were after!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so sweet Jacey! All those stars, I love the tiny ones especially! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful mini! I love the colors you chose! Congratulations on such a fun and meaningful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm, great patchwork! and that red binding is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look great, and I love the red binding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a good imagination to create such a cute mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stopped by from the sew modern monday. I love this little mini, what a great way to use up scraps. Are you planning on going to Quiltcon? I'm super excited that it's so close and can't wait to go!! It's only like a year away, right? : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. You have such a great sense of color and this is such a great example of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely done, Jacey! I really love all the stars on the front, especially the row of tiny stars.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading about your process! It sounds like you had a great time making that. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo, I love this Jacey! Great colors and I love the layout/design :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this, i sooo want to make such a colorful mini as well!! Soon. . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, i just love these wonky stars SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i love the crinkle so much too! this is such a beautiful mini!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, all the little patchy stars! I can see why you had a hard time giving it up. So just make another one after the wedding for yourself! ;)

    I agree, the red works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute!! I love the stars and the fabrics you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This is gorgeous! I love that you used darker colors for this quilt. So often we see star blocks made using springy colors and a white background (both of which I love), but this is such a fresh take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, Yes, the Crinkle! That's what drew me to your picture! Looks very much like a quilt we fond left behind in an apartment when I was little, that was washed and loved for years to come. We never knew who made it. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I love your mini quilt! And the crinkle is Just Right, as is the binding. Congrats on your lovely finish.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails