Pages

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

FO: To Grandmother with Love

FO: To Grandmother with Love

I always wanted to make a postage stamp quilt. A scrappy one, of course. I made a mini and a pillow last year, but dabbling wasn't enough for me.

Months ago, I started cutting 4" squares from scraps. I did this gradually, as I was cutting for other things. I cut many from two partially used charm packs (Circa 1934 and dark solids).
I sat down to count about six weeks ago, and calculated what I needed.
For this 70" x 80" quilt, I needed 400 squares.

I was way short with my gradual cutting, so I started working through scraps. There are a few duplicates, but this is a nice representation of scraps. I randomly started assembling them into 16-patch blocks, and then into a top.

the back

To tame the gorgeous color a bit, I backed it with the ever-popular IKEA Britten print, as well as a half yard of an Avalon print.

It is quilted in a meander free-motion stitch, but a few blocks were used for experimenting with other FMQ techniques. It was fun!

As I was finishing it up with some scrappy binding last week, Elliott suggested that I gift it to my grandmother.

Closer

We visited my family this weekend, and she is recovering from surgery. This was the perfect chance to give her something special.

My grandmother is, without a doubt, one of the most influential people in my life, crafty or otherwise.

And I didn't even think about it at the time, but my grandmother has collected stamps throughout her life, so really, how could I not give it to her?

She wrapped up in it immediately, so I know it will be loved.

P.S. Whenever I think of postage stamp quilts, I think of Molly.

16 comments:

  1. It turned out so great and I love that you gave it to your Grandmother! I feel the same way about my Grandmother, she's someone I will always try my hardest to be more like. I wish she was here for me to gift a quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that she wrapped up in it immediately. Big smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous! how wonderful that she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it so much, and I'm sure your Grandmother does too! It's so sweet that Elliott suggested giving it to her-- sounds like good advice. Giving quilts, especially when someone is recovering and could use a boost, is SUCH a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so gorgeous!! It looks so wonderfully crinkly. What a lucky lady your grandmother is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is gorgeous Jacey. I'm sure you made your grandmother very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a lovely quit, jacey! i can't help but love simple patchwork quilts, especially scrappy postage stamp ones. this one is clearly after my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, Jacey! I am sure your grandmother will treasure it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea to cut a square whenever reaching for a fabric. Really nice! I love quilts with squares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous gift! It sounds like you found the perfect recipient (and kudos to Elliott for suggesting it).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely! I've been thinking of cutting through my random charm packs and scraps too - thanks for the encouragement! Being a pretty new grandma myself, I sure hope to inspire as much as yours and mine did us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa, that's a spectacular quilt!! I love the back, and I guess because I don't sew I'm not at all exposed to the britten fabric, it's so awesome. And 400 squares! Amazing. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that she loves it! Very special thing for you to do! It is a beautiful quilt and your experience and knowledge and love ALL show in every stich and color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! mmmm, I'm inspired. Fun that you cut it gradually. That seems nice - to "use up" scraps as they come with a long term plan. Also enjoying seeing a bit of Texas in these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a beautiful quilt! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails