Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Back to school

Well, not really.

After destashing some fabric on etsy (there's still some available, if you're interested!), I decided to sign up for the Summer Dresses course taught by Whipstitch. I've been making more garments lately, and felt the class would help me improve my garment-making skills. The biggest problem I face (and I'm sure I"m not alone in this) is fit. It's easy enough to follow a pattern, but catering a dress pattern to your body, accentuating you features, etc. is challenging.

Over the summer, I'll share progress from the class.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share some of the fabrics I might use for the class.

Future dresses-knits

I just recently purchased these two knits from Drygoods Design. I am especially in love with the one on the right. I'm picturing a tank dress (or possibly a sleeveless one) and maybe some shirring?

Future dress-linen blend

I also hope to use this new Anna Maria Horner linen blend (purchased from Pink Castle), but I'm not sure which dress I'll make. Before washing, this fabric is a little stiff, but I imagine it will soften up after washing.

Future garments-voile

I've also got a pretty substantial stash of voile, mostly purchased on sale (luckily).
I won't use all of this for the class patterns, but hopefully, I'll make a dent.

Future dresses-quilting cotton

And two large cuts of quilting cotton. The left print has been in the stash for EONS. I originally bought it for a skirt, but think it's much better suited for a dress. The right print is from that recent Sew Fine Fabric gift certificate.

I've got a few other fabrics that might come into play, but by the end of the summer, I hope I have a lovely handmade wardrobe!

7 comments:

  1. awesome! good luck with your class. i have pretty much given up on quilting cottons for clothing, except for maybe art gallery with its fine, tight weave. i just find them too hot, heavy, and unbreathable. i might still use them for skirts, but probably nothing else.

    i love the stripe on the right as well. i'm sure you'll make some adorable dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and you'll have to report back on how you liked the AMH linen. i was thinking about getting some to make a dress for my niece but was unsure of how heavy it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry--it's me again. i found a possible pattern match for your stripey knit fabric if you don't have one already: http://wardrobereimagined.blogspot.com/2013/06/knit-stripey-dress-inspired-by-gap.html i have the renfrew pattern and it is indeed a good one. very easy to alter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you go girl! Keep inspiring us to make clothes. It's needed around here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this website offers quality dependent content and additional information, is there any other web page which presents these information in quality?


    My web blog; inquiry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your knit sources. I'm on the lookout.

    I bought the same purple AMH fabric for the art student tote. But I have a ton leftover so I was thinking of making a skirt out of it. It's still a bit stiff though after washing, so I'll have to find an appropriate pattern.

    Yah dresses!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails