One sock complete.
You have no idea the milestone I have achieved.
I didn't weigh my yarn before hand, but instead, just knit until I felt like it was long enough. I used the turkish cast-on, increased to 44 stitches and then down to 40 before the heel. I finished the heel last weekend in Austin (under Sarah's supervision), only tinking back twice (nothing short of a miracle!) to correctly do the short row heel. I did a 3 X 1 rib for just over an inch to finish it off. My toe and heel are a little loose, but Sarah has assured me that washing does help to even out stitches. We shall see if there is truth to this.
I'm about halfway to the heel on the second sock, and already dreaming of my next pair. I hope to have this mate done by the end of the month, and I don't think that's overambitious. My second toe seems to be tighter and better-formed. It makes sense, since I had more confidence the second time around. Hopefully, the same can be said about my second heel.