Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Dear Olias,

You know I love you, little cat. You're such a cutie, you make biscuits on my tummy, you snuggle me and give me constant entertainment.

Of course,

you also bite. I don't mind so much when you bite me, but I don't really like it when you bite other things. Like this:

You know, like this Tussah silk lace scarf I made for mom? Yeah, I'd much rather you bite me than eat my knitted things.

Luckily, my mom is an understanding woman, and she knows what you're capable of. So when I told her that you ate her gift, she wasn't surprised.

Luckily, I was able to take a few pictures before you had a snack, so here's an FO to share, although it is now a RFO (ruined finished object). Hopefully, it will eventually be a Re-FO!

Details: Liesel, by Yummy Yarn
Yarn: La Lana Wools Tussah Silk, Strangebrew (purchased on my New Mexico yarn vacay!), 236 yards


Needles: Size 8
Time: About six months, and who knows how long it will take me to have the courage to fix it??
Recipient: my very understanding mother
Thoughts: The silk yarn was luscious and amazing to work with. Luckily, I have a tiny bit left which I will use to try to salvage this gorgeousness. I might try this again with a larger needle, or maybe I'll block it again once I fix it. I was pretty scared to block this, since it's silk, and I read you shouldn't wet-block silk. Instead, I used the iron by holding it a few inches away from the scarf, and ran it over and over to somewhat steam it. I don't think it blocked well, but it sure is was pretty!

5 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's heartbreaking, especially because it's so beautiful!!! I hope you're able to fix it. And you *can* block silk, you just have to be very careful with it because it's weaker when wet (I hear). I always pin my silk out and then spritz it down with water until it's soaked. Then I leave it to dry and it's all pretty and finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NOOOO. Bad kitty! I hope you can salvage it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that IS beautiful. And I'm glad you think I am understanding!!

    I really appreciate the thought and love that went into this gift that dear Olias liked as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's ironic that the yarn was made by Yummy Yarn. Conclusion: Olias can read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up now and realizing I missed two FOs I've been wanting to see!

    Love your Ishbel - just beautiful. Too many firsts wrapped up in there to give away!

    But poor, poor Liesel. She never saw it coming. I admit Liesel was my favorite in your WIP queue! I have absolutely no experience repairing lace, but I'm feeling quite confident on your behalf. All in good time and she'll be ship shape.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails