Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

FO: Starry Art Student Tote

I finished the Art Student Tote I shared with you earlier this week! I recommend this Anna Maria Horner pattern wholeheartedly.

FO: Starry Art Student Tote

My only trouble was during the cutting process. Since I made the slim version (view C), I got a little confused by the cutting diagram. I ended up cutting my main fabric (those beloved stars) wrong, and wasted some (but don't worry, I'll give those large scraps new life!).

Interior of my new Art Student Tote

I modified the interior of the bag slightly. The slim version has a divider wall with pockets, but since I'm hoping to tote around my laptop in this, I omitted the divider, and just added the pockets to the side of the bag.

Anna's directions were clear, but like with all patterns, reading through before starting is a good idea.
My only other modification was that I omitted the magnetic closure, mostly because I didn't have any, and was fine with not having a closure of some kind. My last modification was that I did not interface the straps.

All in all, I'm very happy with this bag. It was the perfect supplemental project this week. I started cutting fabric Saturday night, and Tuesday, I was finished!

FO: Starry Art Student Tote

Fabrics used: Joel Dewberry Woodgrain in yellow, Sundae Stripe in gray from Moda's Ruby, Cosmo Cricket crosshatch in yellow, Sandi Henderson Secret Garden (floral pocket print), and Dear Stella stars.

I highly recommend this pattern. When I first purchased this pattern, I thought a sew-along would be fun. I'd still be up for that, if anyone is interested. I have hopes to make the larger version.

Would anyone want to sew-along with me?

16 comments:

  1. I'd still be up for it. It looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'd be up for it, too. i need a new bag to cart my work crap around in, and if it's big enough for a laptop, it would fit the files i tend to carry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag is awesome! It looks like the perfect size for a laptop and a few extras.

    I love that Joel Dewberry Aviary 2 line. I made a dress with it last summer and have more to make Dresden blocks. I'm always thinking...what else can I make with it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeek, it turned out so cute! Love the fabrics together, such pretty colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bag. I might could...depends on when you want to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that'a a great bag! it looks so polished. i'm with you on nixing the divider--i've never been a fan of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tote!! I looks fantastic,. and I love the extra pockets.... always comes in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabrics you chose! What a great bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i would totally sew along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab bag! That looks like the perfect size for a laptop plus a book or small knitting project. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job! I have never made ANYTHING with a zipper...I have a zipper phobia:) This is a GREAT bag!!! Someday I will conquer my zipper fear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this bag! I'm particularly fond of the two colorful zippers on the side! Again, darn job interfering with 'play' time or I would join in on your sew-a-long. I think these kind of challenges would be great to start me sewing but I just don't have the time right now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in! I probably won't be able to do anything though until the spring when it gets a little warmer and I can sit out at the sewing machine. I love the bag though!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails