Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

on a roll

I have received gifts from both Amanda and Nicke to share with you, but today, I just wanted to share a fun new tool I got in Birmingham. Triangles on a Roll is now my favorite way to make half-square triangles. I purchased the 3" finished square roll. Amanda and I tried it out Saturday night.

HSTs

It's quick and makes very accurate pieces. I always have trouble getting my HSTs to be just the right size, but this helps me out! Plus, this roll will make 600 squares. I want to make lots of HSTs!

I will definitely be purchasing other sizes.

HSTs

I even cut into some of the fabric I purchased while in Birmingham, like this Kaffe Fassett Spot and Malka Dubrawsky's A Stitch in Color. Love!

Okay, received gifts, coming up! Happy Friday, everyone! ETA: Here's the basic instructions on how to use this paper: you pick two square scraps, then sew the paper square to the scraps, following the dotted lines, and using a very tight stitch. Then, cut on the solid lines. Trim dog ears and press!

9 comments:

  1. huh, that looks interesting. so it's basically paper piecing HSTs? and you still have to cut off the dog ears?

    i'd give my right arm if i could find a method of HSTs and geese that don't require you to trim. i really hate trimming. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No trimming, just the dog ears! I really like this method!

      Delete
  2. So it's similar to Thangles? I bought some and they are interesting and I like them for teeny hsts...I think doing big ones like this could be fun and the roll would definitely help accuracy for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Thangles, but each section makes eight HSTs. I think Thangles are individual, right? These go quickly!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, i used to use this and Thangles back when i was obsessed with hsts. i love the scrappy look of whatever you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What! 8 HST's at a time?! I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very cool! I agree - making 8 at a time is great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 8 at a time. i need to get some of that paper! ;) also, i love that fabric. i love kaffe's spots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh. I'm trying to wrap my brain around this process but so far, I'm coming up a little short! I'd have to see it in motion I think (or you know, have more sewing background than I do). But even if I can't wrap my brain around it, it certainly looks like you've got it figured out!

    I really like that top left square...psychedelic meets checkers? ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails