Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Fi's Mini and other things

Mini quilts have been on the brain lately. I've had a lot of gifts on the to-do list lately, and besides that, they're just fun to make. It's so gratifying to start and finish a project in a few days. A mini lets me play with a new technique or beloved scraps. The blog world has been equally enamored with mini quilts lately, and there's even a fun contest going on right now at Ellison Lane. I'm trying to finish the mini I hope to enter for her contest, but for today, I wanted to share the one I made for Fi. Fi is a fellow Houston Modern Quilt Guild member. For birthdays in the guild, each member makes a gift for the person who has the next chronological birthday.

Fi's mini

I made this scrappy HST mini quilt for her gift, and included a S'mores chocolate bar and a charm pack of fabric.

I used a no-bind method to quilt this mini.

In a nutshell, you assemble the top, then quilt a few foundation lines through just the top and the batting, to secure it.
Then, you assemble (right sides together) the top/batting and back.
Leaving a gap to turn inside out, then flip right sides out, top stitch the perimeter to close the gap.
Then, quilt away! That's the last step! No binding!

Stitching and back

A close up of the yellow stitching.

I got to use some fun fabrics in this piece. The HSTs are from my triangles on a roll trial run, and I used a small piece from my Pezzy Prints jelly roll (a prize from Brenda's blog!).

I'm linking up with Megan today!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

AMH Good Folks - complete!!

I'm also excited to share that I now have a complete FQ set of Anna Maria's Good Folks fabrics! I love this line, and have tracked down all of the prints, bit by bit. The last several fat quarters are a result of a swap with Leslie. I cannot thank her enough!

Later this week, I plan on sharing a little wedding chatter with you. We're at the two month mark!
I've also got a few received goodies to share.

7 comments:

  1. Love the Anna Horner! Can't wait to hear some wedding updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute mini!! I'm excited for wedding chatter! Can't wait to hear about it, you must be getting so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are going swap crazy! love the mini. and congrats on tracking down all the good folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this mini and i loooooove that yellow thread. is it aurifil? what thread do you usually use? just curious... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your fabric stack, Jacey! Any plans yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea that a mini allows one to use up scraps so well (of course, I know that others can do a huge quilt with scraps but some of us need to start small!). I like this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I'm hoarding my Good Folks! I love that line!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails