Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

A tale of two minis

How was your weekend?? Did you get to be crafty?
I accomplished a few things, including falling down the last three stairs in my townhome. Stupid slippery socks. I have a couple of bruises, but I'm okay! I'm moving slowly this morning, though.

Today, I want to share two mini quilts with you. One was for a friend, and the other was from a friend.

You may have noticed in my mosaic, but I recently knit a second pair of Toast mitts for my friend/fellow guild member, Tammy.

Feb 9: My Hands

I used some of the handspun from Sam. We made a trade last year, and this was one of the skeins she sent.

I wasn't expecting anything in return for the mitts; Tammy just wanted a pair, and is hoping to learn to knit soon.

She surprised me with the cutest mini at our February meeting.

A gift from Tammy

Look! She used Kelly's LOVE pattern, and also pebble quilted for the first time. I love it, and it was so sweet of Tammy to make me a little treat!

My pal Kaelin has been on a sewing hiatus, due to a neck injury. She was sentenced to six weeks of no-sewing, which is, luckily, almost over. Some of her friends conspired to make her a care package, and I made her a mini quilt. I didn't want to give it away, but I did, reluctantly. She received it last week, so I can share it with you!

Kaelin's Mini: basting

I'm so obsessed with wonky stars, guys. I can't even tell you!

FO: Kaelin's Starry Mini

Kaelin is very into navy/pink right now, so I used some favorite fabrics in those colors and densely quilted this. The fabrics include: Dear Stella stars (love!), Metro Modern circles, and a fireworks print I picked up at Sewing Summit. There's no selvage, but I wish I knew what it was! I'd love to get some more of that print!

I love the way the quilting turned out. I wouldn't want to densely quilt a larger size project, but on a mini, it's not too time-consuming.

DSC_0383

I made a little hanger, which I sewed into the binding, and bound it with some jelly roll strips of the new Pezzy Prints. The back fabric is Lecien My Folklore.

I'm linking up with Megan today!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

19 comments:

  1. What a happy post :)
    Love the mini you sent Kaelin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting through Sew Modern Monday...fantastic projects! I especially love the wonky star mini quilt. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man...seems like a good time to leave those slippery steps behind (well that and other reasons!). I'm glad you weren't hurt!!

    Handspun toasts are just awesome (what a strange sentence).

    I love both minis...the pink one is balanced so well with the colors and the arrangement...and perfect quilting. And ack, it's the stars made into stars!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little quilts and wow - pezzy makes a nice binding! Love your quilting too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i am so glad you weren't hurt too bad! broken bones for a wedding, not good! i love these mini's jacey, you are stronger than i to give it away! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jacey! So glad you weren't hurt! Love the minis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are OK..that stinks! I always have a fear of that myself! I am glad you are not hurt badly..I must say..YOU are the sweetest friend. Seems you are always making somebody smile! I love your mini..and your mitts! I am trying to knit a pair of fingerless gloves too right now!! Take care..XXX000

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack, that is scary that you fell, glad you are OK! That mini is gorgeous - love the stong color combo, perfect for a mini! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are okay! My BFF slipped down about half a flight of hardwood stairs in her house last year and fractured a bone in her arm. Since it wasn't displaced, she only had to rest it and did not need a cast, but it certainly was not fun.

    I did get some knitting in over the weekend. I'm working on a pair of toe up socks for my husband using a recipe type pattern, so there has been some trial and error. We also picked out a paint color for the nursery since the bedding arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you're ok, Jacey. Sounds like a scary fall. But the mini.. so cute! Love your quilting and the fabrics and the pezzy binding. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cursed socks! Glad you are ok.

    Love those mitts. What happy colors! And the minis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous work :)

    Love for you to share it at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" Linky Party here: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeep! Glad to hear you're ok. Love the mitts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mini you made is so cute! I absolutely love the quilting! Very unique. Glad you didn't get hurt falling down the stairs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your stars may be wonky but your points are PERFECTION! These are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those quilts are so amazing, I love the pebble texture of the Love quilt. And that wonderful toast pattern was made for handspun yarns- yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the mini you sent Kaelin. Good luck with the competition :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that mini Jacey and the quilting is fab! Good luck and thanks for entering the Modern Mini Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails