Monday, August 23, 2010

Progress: Lila

Buttercup has been on my to-knit list for months. I waited a long time before casting on for it, and did more ravelry research than normal.
Mainly, there were a lot of comments on ease, and recommendations to knit a size smaller than normal. I swatched with two different needle sizes before casting on, and so far, the fit seems pretty close.


It doesn't happen very often, but I'm actually using the recommended yarn, Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy, purchased from Supercrafty back in 2008 (according to my search just now, Supercrafty closed in February), on a size 3 needle. I just didn't like how the fabric was on size 4 needles. I've made some modifications, and I'm trying to keep better notes, so that I can share them with you upon completion.
Generally, I'm eliminating the A-line increases and adding half sleeves.

Progress: Lila

It's nice to have a sweater/top on the needles (ignoring the Central Park Hoodie in my closet, of course!) again.

I've got some new sewing and knitting projects on the brain. I have made a small bit of progress on the quilt, and I'll share that once the top is finished.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New shoes

My first Zappo's experience brought me these:

New shoes

They're Nine West Houses. I bought them in Gray, but I swear they look a bit more Olive. Whether dressy or casual, I really love them. My favorite feature is the zipper on the back of the shoe. They were a bit of a splurge for me, but I don't buy shoes very often, and I've already worn them several times. I was surprised how comfortable they are, and they have just enough heel.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

FO: Technicolor Shawl

FO: Technicolor Shawl

My Kool-Aid shawl was finished nearly three weeks ago. After not being completely satisfied with the pictures I took, Houston was hit with nearly two weeks of rain (not entirely uncommon here), but I finally took some additional pictures this week.

FO: Technicolor Shawl

As mentioned here, where I was referring to the shawl as "Fruition", the pattern is Waves of Leaves, a free pattern from Malcolm and Marcus. There are only 119 projects on Ravelry, which is surprising to me. The pattern is straightforward and is a great choice for highly variegated yarn.

FO: Technicolor Shawl

I used a size 4 circular needle and the full skein of my hand-painted Kool-Aid yarn, approximately 460 yards. When I started the pattern, I inadvertently assumed the \ decrease to be SSK (slip slip Knit), so I continued this decrease in the same manner for the remainder, to keep things uniform. I'm not sure it made much of a difference, but that was my only (accidental) modification.

No, scratch that. I lied. Like an idiot, I kept knitting five rows too long on the third repeat of the main chart. After finishing that row, row 16, I switched to the border lace, and it didn't seem to matter. It's nice when a pattern helps out with my inattention!

FO: Technicolor Shawl

Speaking of the lace edging, it's my favorite part.

This is my fourth shawl of 2010. I'm still working on my Swallowtail, #5, but I haven't touched it in over a week.

FO: Technicolor Shawl

I'm honestly not sure I will complete the 10 shawls in 2010 challenge, but I'm okay with that. Frankly, there's a ton of patterns in my queue, items I'll actually wear with frequency, and I may take a breather from all of the shawls. We'll see.

Either way , I'm pleased to have this shawl complete, and to have used my beloved hand-painted yarn.

Monday, August 2, 2010

FO: Simplicity 0508

Saturday morning, I found myself at Joann's, hunting through the $1.99 Simplicity patterns. I seriously couldn't pass up such a deal. I left with two patterns, Simplicity 2403 and 2360, fabric for 2403, and the required notions. When I got home, I looked through my existing patterns and fabric, and decided to make Simplicity 0508 first.

Simplicity 0508

It seemed like an easier pattern than 2403, especially for a beginner like myself. Saturday, I cut the required pattern pieces (I made mine the length of view A, but with pockets and sleeves from view F), as well as the fabric, and sewed the sleeve pieces. Sunday, I sewed the rest!

FO: Simplicity 0508

I used a little less than two yards of Alexander Henry's Umekko fabric. I bought this last spring from Cia's Palette. I just love the cherry blossoms. The tiny all-over print was perfect for my beginner skills, especially since I used black thread. It hides my mistakes well!


There are pleats at the shoulders and neck, a tiny detail, which would probably stand out better in a solid fabric, but I love them.


On this project, I used darts for the first time (mine aren't fantastic, but again, sort of hidden by the fabric choice), installed a 22" zipper on the back, made pockets (which are fairly invisible) and learned many valuable sewing lessons. I measured carefully before cutting, which I always seem to slack on.

FO: Simplicity 0508

My only modification was adding some dart-like decreases at the waist, since it was fairly baggy in that area. The pattern is written to have a fair amount of ease, though, so it was to be expected.

Truth be told, I haven't hemmed the dress yet, but I definitely see myself wearing this to work or on weekends.

Related Posts with Thumbnails