Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

On making quilt backs

I know a lot of quilters dislike making quilt backs, but it is one of my favorite parts of the quilting experience. On occasion, I will use a sheet or a wideback, but more often than not, I make a scrappy back. It is a nice improvisational exercise, once the quilt top is finished.

In some cases, I like to use leftover blocks as a starting point.

FO: Improv Citrus
Do.Good Stitches quilt, finished 2012

FO: Kahlan's quilt
A quilt for my cousin Kahlan, 2014

Beachy Lazy Sunday back
Lazy Sunday Quilt, 2015

scrappy trip backSecond Scrappy Trip, 2015

And sometimes, it is just fun to pull a pile of favorite and/or lingering prints in a coordinating palette.

Florette back
Florette, 2015 Quilt backs are a great way to use your stash.

The back
Bridges, 2013

The back
Churned, 2014

If you haven't already, I hope you will consider the quilt back to be just as fun as the quilt top!

2 comments:

  1. So fun seeing lots of your quilt backs in once spot! I love how scrappy yours are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wished I liked this step more - thanks for the quilt back eye candy. Love it when you do it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails