Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Admitting defeat

Like most of you, it's hard for me to fess up when I can't handle a challenge I've set for myself. Over the past week, I've been feeling that weight, as I debated whether I could complete Juno Regina for my friend, Angela. She didn't ask me to make her a shawl for her wedding; I offered. I wanted to do something nice for her, and knit her a beautiful shawl she would enjoy for years after her wedding day.

After lots of guilty thoughts about the shawl, I called her last night to tell her I had bitten off more than a mouthful. As expected, Angela was tremendously gracious, and said she understood. I know I'm being harder on myself than anyone else will be, and I did feel as if a weight had been lifted when I was able to remove it from my list of impending obligations.

So there you go: no lace for ravelympics, no deadline of November 3, and most importantly, a resolution to avoid overcommitting myself. Who knows if I can keep that self-imposed law, but I hope I can.

I would like to try lace again soon, because I feel as if I'd really take to it, but not with so many expectations, and perhaps on a smaller scale.

2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up over it. I'm sure your friend appreciates the meaning behind the gesture. Besides, I'm sure she wouldn't want you to be stressing out about finishing it for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I know you're right, and I really do feel better about it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails