Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

FO: 1621 days

There are projects that don't get finished. Sometimes, it's because something new and shiny comes along, but sometimes, it's because I'm scared. It's silly, but if I feel like something might not fit/work/turn out perfectly, I will set it aside until I can face it.

Happy

This sweater is the oldest of these scary WIPs. I cast on for the Central Park Hoodie, in July, 2008.

It's funny to think about how much has changed since I started this sweater; also hilarious? The fact that I started a SWEATER in JULY. In fact, I took this as a "beach knit" when my sister and I went on a little vacation that summer. I don't recall doing any actual knitting on the beach, which is great, since Cascade 220 is 100% wool.

CPH-Back

I finished the back in a week. It just flew off the needles.

From my ravelry notes, I can see that my first problem came with the right front piece. I knit it longer than I should have, and decided to put it down instead of fixing right away.

That right there is one of my biggest problems when I make a mistake.

If I had fixed it immediately, the I wouldn't have lost the momentum.

Here's the really embarrassing part: all sweater pieces were done in 2009.

My avoidance of picking up stitches prevented me from starting the assembly process.

My fear of messing up this long-term project caused me to just leave it in the closet, unloved. My lack of experience with seaming an entire sweater was the root of that fear.

Sometime in 2010-2011, I knit the hood and button bands, and then in the last week of December (2012), I picked it up and resolved to finish. It didn't take long.

CPH

And after a nice blocking on New Years Day (and a couple of days after that), I have a new sweater. And it fits. It's not perfect, and I still have a lot to learn about seaming.

But it's mine. I finished it.

This wasn't my first sweater, but it was the first sweater of its kind for me.

Proof of:

Here's to more scary finishes, for you and for me.

22 comments:

  1. congrats! it's a great sweater and i love yours in purple. i wore mine to death practically (it's a big pilly mess now) so i'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Sweater! You look adorable in it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot, woot! I love the sassy hip pop in your photo, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you! i have more wips than i wish to admit to...many of those for the same reasons. something went wrong so i throw it to the side never to be seen again! it looks fabulous, and i'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous, no matter what its history. But it really is amazing how much our fear of failure can backlog our ambitions, isn't it?

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love that pattern. Looks great, glad you finished it. (Doesn't that feel better? I hate having projects in progress for years.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. I love my Central Park Hoodie and wear it a lot. I'm sure you will get lots of wear out of yours too as it looks good. You've just confirmed to me that I should rip back my current project and re start it again now rather than putting it in a time out until I get over my anger at the mistake. I don't want to lose momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I'm totally jealous of anyone who can knit! And you are rocking that sweater! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it turned out gorgeous, and i'm sure you'll wear it all the time now! once, of course, summer is over here in the sweltering south! and, yes, i am aware that i just called january "summer" but i'm running the AC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Momentum is such a tricky thing. I'm celebrating with you for your finish! I've got my Vintage Tangerine quilt just sitting on the design wall. I think it's anti-momentum for me to use a wall.. maybe? I'll be sure to try again though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great sweater! I just finished my first one (started in January of 2012), but for some reason I've been too lazy and unmotivated to block it and sew on the buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have done all of what you said, waiting/stopping till… I know more or can conquer the task?!?! Good to know others do the same thing ;)
    Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mine is still sitting in a bag somewhere....maybe I should bust it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This achievement deserves 2 comments (since I already saw it on Flickr...although you did promise more revealing modeled shots...tsk tsk). Great job Jacey...isn't it funny how something we are afraid of often ends up being a piece of cake. If only we could remember that for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. woohoo! i'm still envious of that sweater. go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. when were you at my house! creeper.

    jk:) looks lovely sister, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, it's such a pretty color for you! Congrats on finishing it!! I have a scary wip that sort of haunts me -- my voile Little Folks quilt. The first quilt attempt I made, with overly ambitious ideas from the start. Hopefully one day I'll get the courage to finally finish it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know this putting away and ignoring it or just not starting it because... well, there are many excuses. But when getting started it often doesn't take that long. It must be satisfying having finished the sweater. I'm glad you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so impressed you finished a longstanding project like that! I've had several that I've ultimately frogged or just put in the circular file (horrible, I know). So I'm really, really impressed that you stuck with this one. And it's a great sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, at least you finally finished it! And it looks great on you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You go girl! Yay for awesome finishes!! I want to start a sweater this year. I have the yarn and the pattern, but I am worried it will take me just as long! ha ha! Guess I just better start to see how it goes, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  22. you are amazing! i love this so much! your poses are super awesome too my dear! the color is beautiful and your cables are perfection!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails