This one, for Bill and Meena, was no exception. Starting with Elizabeth Hartman's Xylophone quilt from her second book, I used Kona Stone, along with green and brown strips to make some (slightly) wonky wedged blocks. I decided to only use these two colors (although I considered yellow as well), mostly to avoid having a lot of wasted cuts. I do have a small pile of waste, but I intend to use them up as scrappy bits in some improv blocks.
The quilt finishes at approximately 48" x 52". I like to size baby quilts generously, so they can grow with the baby.
I'm remind of last January's baby quilt, for Wyatt. More green and brown, there!
As part of my ongoing free motion practice, I tried the meander stitch this time. Full disclosure: I started quilting this twice before landing on the meander. First, I tried pebbling, but it looked all wrong with the strips. Then, I started straight-line quilting, but I didn't think that worked here either.
So, the meander, which I did only on the Kona Stone.
For the back, I used a long ago stashed Deer Valley cut, which I love. I think the yellow/brown print works perfectly! I broke it up with some white Kona and a lonely leftover block. I left an unquilted area for my mom and I to sign.
And that's it! Another quilty finish, and another one I wish I could keep.